Friday, March 04, 2011

When I'm 88, I will still be playing video games

I went to the woodworking shop last weekend to make frames for two new pieces in Giant Robot SF Game Over 4 group show. I began building my own panels and frames since 2008, this is one of the wood shops I've worked at that hosts some of the very nice and friendly old folks whose average age is about 70. One of the grandma, who I believe is at least 80 years old (Yes, she old, but experienced. She is building furnitures at the shop, she has built 3 big dining chairs in the past and is making her first rocking chair). She saw me brought the finished pieces in for framing and recognized the piece I made from the Super Mario. It was really cute and lovely that she started to hum the Mario theme song to me right away. She told me that she knew it because she used to watch her grandchildren on the nintendo system all day in the past. I am not too surprised, but I think it is amazing that the video game culture has passed from one generation to another. For me, I can picture myself in the future, being an eighty years old grandma and still be playing games all day. Also imagine the video games I am playing right now will become one of the classic games for the next generation. How exciting is that.

This project was really fun, I cut more than 1000 wooden bits from recycling wood to experiment with:


Here are the two pieces I made for Game Over 4:
Co-Op Multiplayer (detail)

Co-Op Multiplayer (framed)
Co-Op Multiplayer
Graphite / Acrylic on wood
11"x14" (Framed)

Make A Wish (detail)

Make A Wish (framed)
Make A Wish
Acrylic on wood 18"x10" (Framed)



Info:
Game Over IV at GRSF, March 4, 2011 - March 30, 2011

Reception: Friday, March 4, 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm

GRSF



Co-Op Multiplayer

Make A Wish

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi Jeni, I absolutely love these pieces! Especially Co-Op Multiplayer, those cats with the laser eyes are awesome :) It was great to meet you yesterday, I look forward to being in class with you next year!

JEYA: Jeni Yang said...

Hi Hi Lauren, thank you very much!

Me too, it was really great to meet you. You make very lovely work! I'm pretty excited about our program. Looks like a lot of fun stuff is happening, I'm really looking forward to it!!

Liz said...

Oh Jeni, you are amazing.