Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pakupaku in Portland, OR

Pakupaku
View Large

In Portland only 2 days so far and I've already fallen in love with this city. A lot of reasons not just about the friendly people, delicious food, and nice weather. I think the uplifting vibe and the nature really make this city so lovely. The temperature started getting pretty cold the next day I arrived in Stumptown. I feel that I just jumped from the summer straight to the winter. (LA's winter is about like this)

My inspiration of "Pakupaku" came from one of my childhood toys - The fishing game. Pakupaku means "the moving mouth". I was pretty excited to find one while I was browsing at a local supermarket years ago and I knew I had to make an interesting painting about it. So here I made the "mac & cheese girl" involve in the game. (I have a series of work about this girl who is always in her mac & cheese fantasy world)

Pakupaku (inspiration)

Pakupaku (framed)

19"x15" Framed, custom built shadow box

This piece will be on display for this show:

3 Pins On a Map II : Featuring artists from 3 different locations around the world
Krista Huot - Canada | Kana Ohtsuki - Japan | Jeni Yang - U.S.A.
Oct. 1st - Nov. 1st 2009 | Reception: October 1st @ 7:00pm

Compound Gallery
107 NW 5th Avenue
Portland, OR 97209

Please contact Matt: matt@compoundgallery.com If you are interested.

More gallery view and detail pictures:

Pakupaku (framed)

Pakupaku (framed)

Some work-in-progress snaps:
Pakupaku (W.I.P)

Pakupaku (W.I.P)

Pakupaku (W.I.P)

Pakupaku (inspiration)

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

reminds me of audrey kawasaki's works.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!